4th Annual Art Challenge May 2013
We have added a Jewelry Challenge for 2013!
Village Gallery of Arts is now accepting registrations for our 4th Annual Art Challenge.
This annual show brings in 2,000 visitors and last year sold over 100 pieces of wall art.
The artist receives 75% commission on any art sold. The funds raised are used for gallery improvements.
Registration is closed for Art Challenge 2013
Save these Dates and Join us
This is a non-juried opportunity to create and sell 4 stretched canvases (6”x6”x1.5” size provided by gallery) during the month of May 2013. Artists will receive their canvases starting March 30, 2013 and must create the pieces in the month of April. Registration is first-come, first-served and limited to 110 artists.
This is a non-juried opportunity to create and sell a piece of jewelry using a 35 mm square black metal alloy jewelry blank (provided by gallery) during the month of May 2013. The kit will also include a chain and glass cover which is optional to use. Artists will receive the jewelry blank starting March 30, 2013 and must create the piece in the month of April. Registration is first-come, first served and limited to 50 artists.
- Submit a completed registration form along with the non-refundable entry fees to:
The Village Gallery of Arts • 12505 NW Cornell Road #14, Portland, OR 97229
- Phone: (503) 644-8001 • Gallery hours: Sunday noon to 4 PM, Monday closed, Tuesday – Saturday 10 AM to 4 PM
- No registrations will be accepted without the entry fee or over the phone.
Registration deadline: Saturday, March 9 at 3 PM
- The Art Challenge is open to all ages, including children and students. All artwork must be original and produced only by the registered artist – no collaborations.* All work MUST be created during the month of April 2013.
- The Gallery will “red dot” all art sold. Sold canvases/jewelry will stay in the gallery for the duration of the show.
- The Artist must return completed pieces to the gallery by Sunday, May 4th by 2 PM.
- All artwork will be available for pick up on June 1st starting at 10 AM. This allows buyers to pick up the paintings they purchased, and also enables artists to pick up any unsold work. (No exceptions).
- Our volunteer Treasurer mails checks to the artist (the name you have listed on the registration form) one month after the last day of the show.
- Registrants not following protocol will be disqualified.
- We suggest artist statements to accompany your pieces. More details on that process closer to the show date.
- All 4 canvases must share a theme. Example: Beach, Angels, Flowers, Animals, etc.
- All pieces must be of the same medium (example: watercolor, mixed media, encaustic, etc.)
- All participating artists must use the canvases as their substrate provided by gallery. You may add a substrate to the front of the canvas only. No exceptions.
- Hanging: Hanging Guidelines will be given when canvases are picked up.
- All 4 pieces will hang vertically on a wall. (#1 at the top and #4 at the bottom.)
- Artist name and artist statement will be displayed adjacent to your pieces. All pieces must be numbered and priced on the back of the piece for easy sales.
- Pieces will be placed on the wall with one nail. We’ll hang by the back of the frame.
- No wiring or framing accepted.
- Artwork must be priced between $20 and $50 per piece.
- You can create a group price with all 4 canvases.
- You can be creative! Sew, fuse, solder, glue and photograph and bead away!
- The jewelry will be placed near the cash register so gallery volunteers can keep an eye on your masterpiece.
- Jewelry must be priced between $15 and $50 per piece.
The show opens up to the public on Tuesday May 6th at 10 AM
The artist reception is on Saturday, May 11th from 10 AM to 4 PM
View past entry photos on our FACEBOOK Page
Questions? Contact Shelley Lebel, project coordinator or cell: 503/333-1215